Instructional design implications
Overview of instructional design implications deriving from cognitive load theory.
* Organise information based upon advance organisers to promote a suitable hierarchy to schemas.
* Activate existing schemas.
* Reduce extraneous cognitive load whenever practical.
* Utilise mixed visual and audio instructional designs to expand working memory whenever practical.
* Promote germane activities which increase intrinsic cognitive load whenever practical.
* Ensure working memory is not exceeded by total cognitive load.
* Cater for different levels of learner expertise.